Michigan Cancer Research Fund                                                                                            American Cancer Society

The Need for Research Funding

As of February 2020, the American Cancer Society (ACS) has more than $422 million invested in 753 active research grants in the United States, with more than $10.9 million invested in 22 grants in the State of Michigan. Each year, a national peer review process rates approximately 23% of the grant applications received as outstanding and worthy of funding. However, the American Cancer Society typically is able to fund only 59% of its approved grants, leaving 41% of these outstanding grants unfunded due to limited resources. As a result, a significant number of potentially life-saving research ideas may not be pursued by promising investigators. These approved but unfunded applications are designated "pay-if", i.e. approved to pay only if funds become available.

The Solution

Led by founding chair William Y. Campbell, the Michigan Cancer Research Fund ("MCRF" or "Fund") was established in 2008 by a group of cancer-concerned philanthropists to fund critical cancer research projects that would otherwise remain unfunded. The Fund is an initiative of the American Cancer Society. MCRF is administered and administratively supported by key executive staff of the North Central Region of the American Cancer Society, with MCRF Trustees providing both the funding and the research investment direction.

MCRF Trustees

MCRF Trustees make annual gifts of $10,000 in support of American Cancer Society approved but yet unfunded cancer research grants. They are uncompensated volunteers who, through MCRF, are provided the unique opportunity to actively participate in seeking a cure for cancer utilizing the resources of the American Cancer Society, the most respected cancer fighting organization in America. With their ongoing support, Trustees serve indefinitely.

Research Project Selection

MCRF Trustees are able to take advantage of the American Cancer Society's world-renowned peer-review process which evaluates the most innovative cancer research projects currently seeking funding. MCRF Trustees play a key role in selecting the projects funded each year. They have the opportunity to ask questions before selecting which projects to fund.